SAMURAI The Cast
One of Tom Cruise's finest performance in a historical drama set in Imperial Japan. The transformation he went from a grizzled, depressed war veteran to man of purpose was remarkable to watch unfold. His enemy, Katsumoto, the feared
leader of the samurai clan had many conversations with him while held captive. Their talks about war, life and poetry ultmately grew into a beautiful and deep friendship.
• "The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life."
• "I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new."
• "Perfect... They are all... perfect..."
• "For 500 bucks a month I'll kill whoever you want. But keep one thing in mind: I'd happily kill you for free."
• "They are an intriguing people. From the moment they wake they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue. I have never seem such discipline. I am surprised to learn that the word Samurai means, 'to serve', and that Katsumoto believes his rebellion to be in the service of the Emperor."
• "I will miss our conversations."
• "Japanese men do not help with this"
• "Father, let me stay. It is my time."
• "Please forgive; too many mind. Mind the sword, mind the people watch, mind enemy - too many mind. (Have) No mind."
• "I have dreamed of a unified Japan. Of a country strong and independent and modern. We have railroads and cannon, Western clothing. But we cannot forget who we are. Or where we come from."
• "Tell me how he died."