The 80s classic martial arts slugfest pitting fighters of different styles in a secret underground tournament hosted by the Triads in Hong Kong.
Exciting right? You betcha! Not only is the action choreography top notch, the music, one-liners and cast of colorful characters combine to make this a cult favorite many times over.
Here I have illustrated each character in their signature pose from a particular scene which I consider most memorable.
Enjoy browsing and a trip down memory lane!
FRANK DUX To honor his master, Senzo Tanaka and his deceased son who was like a brother to Frank, he vows to carry on Tanaka's teachings to win the kumite.
He was taught never to limit himself to one style and to keep an open mind. Even blindfolded, Frank is self sufficient from the level of meditation he has attained.
• "Teach me. I can do it."
• "Aren't you a little old for videogames?"
• "Leave the girl alone."
CHONG LI Representing South Korea, Chong Li may not have been Korean, but Chinese. On the side of his trunks are Chinese characters pronounced "Tong Lei"
which Chong Li is the romanized form. He is the defending kumite champion who will stop at nothing to win. Maniacal with merciless bone breaking power. Feeds off the crowd.
• "Very good, but brick not hit back!"
• "You are next!"
• "You break my record. Now I break you, like I break your friend."
RAY JACKSON A big ole American brute. His new best buddy is Frank. Outbursts of rage and a hammerfist style makes him the most powerful,
unorthodox fighter in the lineup. Loves to showboat and trash talk. Bonafide bad dude.
• "That hurts me just lookin' at it."
• "What the hell is a dim mack?"
• "I ain't your pal dickface."
PACO The unpredictable, rough and devious Muay Thai fighter of Portuguese and Italian background.
PUMOLA The giant sumo fighter with unstoppable power and near unbreakable defense.
LIN Assigned by the I.F.A.A. (International Fighting Arts Association) to chaperone the
North American fighters. Became good buddies with Frank and Ray.
• "Gotcha, like put up your dukes, right?"
• "Son of the bitch! Is that good enough guys?!"
• "Now, remember, it's full-contact. There are three ways to win. One, you knock the guy out. Two, your opponent quits and shouts, "matte." It's like saying uncle. Three, you throw the f***er right off the runway.